Even though Apple has introduced several new features, most of the iPhone 4S features will not come as a surprise to those already loyal to earlier versions of Apple’s smartphone. The most significant new addition is Siri, a new voice recognition tool that is marketed by Apple as being nothing short of a ‘personal assistant’. A summary of the iPhone 4S’ new and existing features:
- Data speed: if your carrier supports it, the iPhone 4S pushes HSDPA to new limits. With a whopping 14.4 MBps downstream speed, watching video and browsing the web on-the-go are now faster than ever.
- Siri: this voice recognition tool is often touted by Apple as being a ‘revolution’ in how we interact with our technology’. Siri allows you to have a naturally flowing conversation with your phone, allowing you to ask questions like “will I need an umbrella tomorrow?” and following up with “and what about next week?”. Information that cannot be directly inferred from the iPhone’s resources will be presented in the form of a web search. Siri also allows you to dictate text messages and issue commands, making this an invaluable tool to people who are behind the steering wheel.
- App support: with the iPhone 4S you will have access to an evergrowing library of free and paid Apps in Apple’s appstore. Since the iPhone 4S is backwards compatible, all iPhone-specific apps should work like a charm.
- New camera: whilst the iPhone 4 already featured a uniquely powerful camera, the iPhone 4S is outfitted with a brand-new 8 Megapixel snapper. The f/2.4 aperature and IR-filter guarantee a brighter and more true representation of every scene. The camera features a bright LED-flash, autofocus and a tap-to-focus capability. In addition, the camera now supports full-HD 1080p video recording.
- iCloud: a strong new feature of iOS5, iCloud is a cloud-based storage service that allows you to store and synchronize your music, photos and contacts across multiple iOS devices. For example, if you add a new contact on our iPhone, it will automatically appear on your iPad and vice versa. Useful!
- Retina display: the iPhone 4S features Apple’s tried-and-proven retina display. This high-resolution display features pixels so small, that they can not be distinguished by the naked human eye. This allows text, video and photo to appear sharp and smooth at any size.